ArchiMate 3.0: Improved Usability and Consistency
Watch the ArchiMate Video
ArchiMate 3.0 Hierarchy of Concepts courtesy of The Open Group
With every iteration of the standard, creators are making ArchiMate ever more closely aligned with TOGAF. Indeed, The Open Group have been clear in their desire to make sure there is a seamless integration between the two EA standards. This is also the case in ArchiMate 3. One of the changes in this area refers to the creation of several new elements in the Application and Technology layers – Application Process, Technology Process, Technology Interaction and Technology Collaboration. This was essentially done for the sake of consistency. As users of ArchiMate 2.1 may know, these were present in the other layers.
ArchiMate 3.0 also specifies how the language relates to other standards, including UML, BPMN, and BMM. This is a very useful inclusion because architects and analysts make use of an array of tools in their daily jobs. Apart from helping users solve their tasks quicker, it is interesting to see how concepts from these other standards are integrated in ArchiMate. Another interesting addition was introducing an optional notation meant to identify the layer to which an element belongs. To achieve this, users may place one of the letters M, S, B, A, T, P or I in the top-left corner of the element.
ArchiMate 3.0 Corner Notation
Here is a summary of the changes:
- Designation of elements in the Technology layer changed from Infrastructure to Technology
- Added events with a time attribute to all layers
- Introduced new elements in the Application and Technology layers (Application Process, Technology Process, Technology Interaction, Technology Collaboration)
- Added an optional notation in the top-left corner of an element to denote its layer (the letters M, S, B, A, T, P or I)
- Introduced a top level, generic meta-model to govern the entire structure of the language
- Simplified definitions and specified relationship to other standards (UML, BMM, BPMN etc.)
You can read more about the changes in ArchiMate 3.0 using the links below:
Book a Demonstration
Let us show you what iServer can do for you with a free, personalised demonstration of iServer's capabilities.Book your Demo